About Me

Sports Marketing and Organizational Leadership are my academic interests and professional pursuits.

I believe in the power of storytelling as a marketing strategy for brands and individuals, as well as the impact it has on becoming an effective leader and connecting with others.

I love technology and the impact it has had on both industries, but believe there is no substitute for the power of the human interaction.

I am passionate about sharing my experiences with those that aspire to work in the field of sports management, and appreciate learning from them in return.

I enjoy exploring the psychology behind fan behavior, and organizational culture.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Practitioners and Academics

Today, I was honored to present at the annual Pennsylvania Recreation and Park Society Annual Conference. It was especially enjoyable because I have been a member of the organization since 2004, originally because I was a practitioner in the world of municipal parks and recreation.  Now, I am back in the academic world, teaching future leaders and sports management professionals.  Today, I spoke on issues pertaining to the practical world of being a park and rec director.

What I found really exciting, and promising, was the abundance of academics presenting at the conference.  And among the presentations, were lots of great discussion and information sharing on how these two worlds can partner to further the profession, as well as help those that aspire to enter into it. Academics were not talking about statistical significance and overly-dry assessment techniques, but real benefits to both parties, and students that are looking to go from one world to the other.

There seems to be a never-ending debate on the divide that exists between those that "do" and those that "teach."  This week, academics and practitioners were sharing the stage and at times, presenting together on topics like "professional development for the aspiring park and rec professional", "Innovative College Partnerships", "Planning a High School Entrepreneurial Academy"and "It’s Not an Internship... It’s a Partnership!"

How refreshing!  And beneficial for all involved.  Kudos, PRPS.


No comments:

Post a Comment